Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Problem of Pain - Faith Questions Lenten Series

When I was only three or four years old I remember visiting my great step-grandmother in a nursing home.  I remember her complaining that she had pain in her knee.  Now I didn’t know what the word “pain” meant.  I remember thinking, “I hope I never have pain.  It sounds like it hurts a lot!”
            I’ve titled this sermon “The Problem of Pain” because pain is indeed a problem.  C.S. Lewis wrote a book by the same title, and admits that no matter how you study it pain is a problem.  Most of our faith questions topics this Lent have not had answers.  Indeed that is the case again today, but as in the case of the rest of the topics, engaging the problem is very constructive.
            Oftentimes pain makes sense to us.  A few weeks ago in a Sunday sermon I mentioned the time I injured my finger with a sledge hammer.  There was definitely pain with that, and getting my finger sewn back together hurt more than the original injury!  But it made sense.  I did something stupid.  Now I pay the price.
            And sometimes pain makes no sense.  Again from the sermon a few weeks ago I brought up the girl who was severely injured by a drunk driver on Christmas Eve.  That makes no sense at all.  And many an atheist will state that if there is a God, and if God is as good and loving as we Christians insist God is, then why does God allow so much suffering in the world?  And that is a fair question.
            Now some will say that pain teaches us things.  Indeed pain is a good teacher.  You can bet I will never ever use a sledge hammer again the way I used it when I injured my finger!  I learned a lesson that will endure forever.
            And some will say that God can use pain to toughen us up for difficult tasks.  The Bible verse from Romans 5 that we read earlier comes to mind, “…suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us.”  Indeed there are times when pain strengthens us for what lies ahead.  And indeed God can do anything, so it is very much within the realm of possibilities that God can use pain to strengthen us.  You know the saying, “That which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”
            Along these lines, pain can certainly help us to be more empathetic.  After our worship tonight AA comes in to use the room.  AA is a perfect example of pain being used to create empathy.  Who better than someone dealing with an addiction to alcohol to connect with others with the same struggle?  Only an alcoholic knows the real power of the addiction itself, and the family dynamics, and the sneakiness, and the enabling, and the manipulation, and the lying that all goes into it.  Of what good is any therapist who only knows the problem in theory.
            And aren’t the best medical doctors the ones who know what it’s like to receive medical care?  The best bedside manner from surgeons comes from surgeons who’ve had surgery.
            This all hit me suddenly a couple years ago when Scott Swigart was in the emergency room at Strong Hospital.  Usually the doctors and nurses come in and tell a patient what medicines her or she is being given.  But when I visited Scott I noticed the staff was asking him what medications he wanted to receive!  I was astonished and when the staff left I remarked on this.  Scott smiled and said he’d trained them all!
            Indeed pain can have many constructive purposes.  But let’s not go so far as to say that all pain has a reason.  And let’s not do as I hear far too often, “I’m sure God has a purpose for this.  I’m just not sure what yet.”
            We are far better to take the thoughts of 13th Century Thomas Aquinas who said that pain is not a good thing in itself, but a thing which might have a certain goodness in particular circumstances.  But we have to leave it at that.
            Ultimately if we reach the conclusion that we humans are very good at – that the presence of pain is a sign of God’s displeasure, and the absence of pain is a sign of God’s pleasure in us – then we are wrong.  It just doesn’t work out.
            And thus the problem of pain.  I’ll recommend reading C.S. Lewis’s book The Problem of Pain if you want to go deeper into this.  He admits his conclusions are not new or unique.  Ultimately he concludes that pain is a consequence of God giving us free will.  You may remember just two weeks ago the way Lutheran theology struggles with the idea of free will and eventually rejects it.  Interestingly Lewis wrote The Problem of Pain in 1940.  Then in 1961 he published A Grief Observed which is a series of journal entries he wrote in his dealing with the pain of the death of his wife Joy Davidman.  They had been married only four years when she died.  A Grief Observed does not invalidate The Problem of Pain but it seriously questions all logic in regards to pain.
            Let me conclude with one of Lewis’s last journal entries in A Grief Observed:
“Sometimes, Lord, one is tempted to say that if you wanted us to behave like the lilies of the field you might have given us an organization more like theirs.  But that, I suppose, is just your grand experiment.  Or no; not an experiment, for you have no need to find things out.  Rather your grand enterprise.  To make an organism which is also a spirit; to make that terrible oxymoron, a “spiritual animal.”  To take a poor primate, a beast with nerve-endings all over it, a creature with a stomach that wants to be filled, a breeding animal that wants its mate, and say, “Now get on with it.  Become a god.”

A Grief Observed, Bantam Edition 1976, pg. 84

No comments:

Post a Comment