Monday, November 27, 2017

November 26, 2017 Christ the King Sunday Matthew 25:31-46

            Some time ago a person who is not a member of our church asked me what my thoughts were on apocatastasis.  Now, maybe you use that word on a daily basis, and if you do, good for you… I guess.  But I replied that the first thing I have to do is to look up what apocatastasis means!
Now I could have pulled out my phone and looked it up, but I was hesitant.  In matters of theological terms I don’t trust Google.  I like to turn to stodgy old textbooks and dictionaries.  Google is too often wrong, and also other books are often wrong. 
This may seem like an aside, but it will be relevant in a couple minutes, with all our Reformation celebrations in the last few months I saw a posting in the Sunday School wing about the five solas in Lutheran thinking, and they were linked to the Luther’s Rose symbol.  Five solas?  No.  There are only three: sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura.  Grace alone, faith alone, scripture alone.  But online people will tell you there are five.  They add Christ alone, and sola deo gloria, which means, “To God alone be the glory.”  And not just online.  I’ve seen a children’s book that lists five also. 
You have to be able to go to the raw sources if you want to be right.  Even Wikipedia notes that the extra two solas are not supportable.
Anyhow, so I turn my Handbook of Theological Terms to apocatastasis and read this, “a Greek word referring to the final and complete salvation of all beings.  It suggests universal redemption or universalism.”  The idea developed in Christianity in the second century by church leaders who could not believe that if God was loving he wouldn’t condemn anyone to eternal punishment.  In other words, everyone goes to heaven regardless.  This is a key teaching in the Unitarian Universalist Church.
The idea of apocatastasis is both supported by scripture and rejected by scripture.  In support we have passages like Ephesians 1:9-10, “With all wisdom and insight God has made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.”
            But of course there are other passages like our gospel reading today.  Some go to heaven.  Some go to eternal punishment.  The Matthew scene is a frightening one.  But what is perhaps the most disconcerting about it is that it contradicts the idea of the three solas: grace alone, faith alone, scripture alone.  From the Matthew text it looks like not only is it all about doing the right works to earn God’s pleasure, things like grace and faith have no part!  If all we had was Jesus’ words in Matthew we’d have to teach that salvation come exclusively by helping the poor and needy.  That is a mess too!
            After doing a bit of research I got back to this person saying I don’t know.  (How’s that for a professional answer!?!)  And truthfully we don’t know.  It is God’s business, not our own.  In regards to salvation this is what we teach.  We know we are loved by God and we live in confidence in that love.  That confidence drives and shapes our lives.  As for those who from our perspective appear to be outside of God’s love, or who reject God’s love, we just can’t speak.  As St. Paul wrote, “It is God who justifies.  Who is to condemn?”
            So how should we understand Jesus’ teaching in our gospel?  Commentator Eugene Boring says that we should not force our gospel writer Matthew to be more consistent than he is.  We spent the first half of this year reading through Matthew’s gospel and you may remember that it is full of contradictions.  In fact, teaching in contradictions is a technique often used in ancient Hebrew thought.  That doesn’t do much for you if you want a concrete answer, but some things don’t have concrete answers.
            If someone asks you, do you believe in universal salvation; or do you believe God eternally punishes some people for their wrongdoing on earth? they’re actually asking an entrapping question.  They’ve gotten the whole idea of life and salvation wrong.
            My kids used to like playing Mario Kart with a neighbor boy.  And if you’re familiar with that game there are twelve competitors in each race.  The fastest six characters seem happy and cheer when the race is over.  The slowest six seem sad and moan and groan.  The neighbor boy used to call it the, “happy cut.”  If you at least made the top six you should be happy.
            Questions like heaven and hell and who goes where make an artificial distinction.  They’re asking who made the happy cut.  And being the humans we are, we’re going to try to leverage it.
            I remember guys in college asking, “What’s the least I can do yet still get a passing grade?”  That’s missing the point of the course!  The point of the course is not about passing.  The point of the course is to learn and to be effective.  Passing or failing just shows whether you understand the material or not.
            Life is not about doing the minimal amount necessary to get to heaven.  Life is about knowing you are loved by God, and then you live out that love.
            In the weakness of our faith I think we all ask ourselves the heaven or hell question.  But a deepening and maturing faith stops asking the question, because it isn’t a real distinction at all.  Simply trust God and live in that trust.  God will work out the rest.  Live in trust and all the judgment stuff that Jesus talked about in our gospel reading will automatically be taken care of.  The faithful ones even answer Jesus that they didn’t know that what they were doing was actually serving him.
            Thanksgiving was last Thursday and I asked myself what I am thankful for.  I can list a lot of things, but central to the things I am thankful for are things like my ability to work, my ability to learn, and my ability to grow.  I realize that the things I value the most in life are not things that have come cheap or been free.  They are things I have worked and worked hard to have.  Somehow in working for something you invest a part of yourself in it.  Because of that you appreciate it more.  If I were to win the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes I don’t know what I’d do with the money.  Many people would be thrilled to be able to buy just about anything they wanted for the rest of their lives.  I don’t think I’d be so happy.  I’d have lost appreciation for all that I get.  It wouldn’t cost anything.
            I think our ability to work and to earn and to grow are actually examples of God’s grace.  God doesn’t make life easy for us.  That would deny us appreciation, and it would make our lives meaningless.
            If God miraculously solved all the world’s problems simply because we prayed about them then this would be a pretty pointless life.  Instead we have meaningful work to do.  It costs us.  It hurts us sometimes.  We do things right and we do things wrong.  We don’t see that work as getting us to heaven and keeping us from hell.  That work is shaping our identity and making us stronger and deeper.

            May you do for others not for the purpose of buying God’s favor so you make the happy cut after you die.  May you do for others because you realize God has empowered you to do for others, and like God, you do not overlook the broken parts of the world around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment