Monday, February 12, 2024

Sunday School Children’s Worship, February 11, 2024

This creative dialog was part of what the Sunday school children presented as the sermon when they led worship on February 11

Cast: Peter
God

Set: Peter at a microphone. God at the pulpit.


Peter: Jesus, this is awesome that we are here with you and Moses and Elijah! Moses is the one who received the Law from God. Elijah is the greatest of the prophets and who was taken up into heaven. And you, Jesus, are the Lord’s Anointed!
Let me build a football stadium for you. We’ll call it High Mountain Stadium.
I’ll include three luxury boxes:
One for you.
One for Moses.
One for Elijah.
You can watch the games in style and comfort. The TV cameras can zoom in on your reactions when there are big plays.
We’ll form a football team and call it the Galilee Bills.
I’ll be the quarterback.
Andrew can be a back as well.
James, and John are fast and good with their hands. They can be receivers.
Simon the Zealot, well he’s as big as a mountain. He can be center.
Philip and Bartholomew we’ll make guards.
Matthew the Tax Collector is good with number but not much good in the way of athletics. But we’ll throw him in as a tackle.
We’ll do the same with James, the son of Alphaeus.
Thaddaeus, he’s versatile. We’ll make him a tight end.
That’s eleven of us.
Which leaves out Judas. Let’s put Judas on special teams. He can be the kicker. He’d better have thick skin, though. If he were to…, say…, miss a field goal that would tie a game during the playoffs, he’ll be known throughout history for that failure!

God: Peter.

Peter: Who’s that? I only see Jesus, Moses, and Elijah in front of me.

God: This is God.

Peter: Whoa, you’re here too!

God: Yes Peter. I’m here too. And you need to stop talking.

Peter: Why? I’ve got lots of ideas just pouring out of my head. I’m in a real stream of consciousness here! Don’t you realize how brilliant my idea is of the disciples creating a football team. And we’ll build a luxury stadium right here on the mountain. I tell you, God, this is genius!

God: You don’t know what you’re saying. Now is not the time for talking. Now is the time for listening.
Peter, you and the disciples are all on a team. You are on the team of my kingdom. You all have different talents. And yes, like a football team, different talents fill different roles. Some are preachers and teachers. Some are artists and musicians. Some build things. Some grow things. Some are managers. Some make rope or cloth. Some are cooks or cleaners. There are many talents and many tasks. They are all essential. All are important. No football team can win if positions are unfilled. No quarterback can be good without good receivers and good linemen.

Peter: (in a singsong voice) Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. But some positions are more glorious than others. And some take more talent than others.

God: No Peter. In my team all positions take a person’s full talent. And all positions are glorious.

Peter: (defiantly) Okay, fine. If you say so.

God: Peter, I told you to stop talking because you don’t know what you’re saying.

Peter: But I do know what I’m saying!

God: No, you don’t. And you’re still talking too!
All are equal in my kingdom because all need my love. All fall short of deserving it. But I love them anyway.

Peter: I don’t fall short!

God: You’re still talking! You don’t know what you’re saying. So now is the time to be silent.
You, Peter, will fall short.
You will fail, Peter. At a time not too far in the future you’ll make boasts and promises about your commitment. And then you will fall apart when the going gets tough.
You will deny that you know Jesus. You’ll even call a curse upon yourself denying that you know Jesus.
Then when you fail you will feel ashamed. You’ll wonder how I could ever love you after such a failure.
But I will still love you. I will welcome you back. You will be restored.
Then you’ll understand. Then you will know.
Then you’ll know that being loved and accepted by me is the greatest thing.
Everyone in my kingdom will feel the same way and know the same thing.
Stadiums and luxury boxes and winning big games are ultimately not important at all.
We’re not here for earthly glory.
What is important is being on my team. My team works to bring about my kingdom.
For now, until these things happen, listen to Jesus. He is my beloved Son. Learn from him. Follow him. He will make you a true victor. It many not happen in the world’s eyes, but you will in my eyes.

Peter: I don’t understand.

God: No, you don’t understand because you don’t know enough in order to understand. But you will understand. For now, just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment