Thursday, February 11, 2016

Ash Wednesday 2016, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21

            The years we have presidential elections give me a ready- made illustration to an Ash Wednesday sermon.  You couldn’t ask for a bigger contrast between the genuine humility Jesus talks about in our gospel reading and what it takes to run for President of the United States.  Candidates spend years, perhaps decades, strategizing to be president.  You can’t just step off the street with no experience and expect to get anywhere as a candidate.  Every speech you make must be made in light of someday being president.  Every bill supported, every vote cast might be scrutinized in the future.  Your friends and acquaintances are largely based upon who will help you get further up the political ladder.  You don’t necessarily do what you think is right, but what will get you ahead.

            And then, if you do actually become the president, or any high office, you’ve got a lot of favors to pay back.  You’re expected to help your supporters get ahead as well.  And of course there are probably skeletons in your closet you now have to keep hidden.  And there are deals you made in ‘smoke filled rooms’ that you want to keep quiet.  And of course there are re-election issues to consider.

            After all that, do you really have that much freedom or power?  No, you’re probably a slave to your own schemes.  We have to ask ourselves, is anyone who really wants to be President of the United States fit for the job?

            Let’s leave the high profile world and come closer to our own.  While probably none of us have the drive to become president, some of the same dynamics can take hold of our lives.  Jesus’ teachings about true piety and humility are for our own good.  God does not want us to be humble so that God can feel good; as if God is president and we are all lowly campaign workers whose own ambitions God doesn’t want as competition!

            Last Christmas and New Years I was visiting relatives and someone was watching a show on the Disney Channel.  I don’t know the name of the show.  It was some cartoon about the children of fairy tale characters.  Anyway, I caught a conversation between two teenage girl characters that went something like this:
“Help me make these cupcakes into something fabulous.”

“I didn’t know you liked to make cupcakes.  Why the sudden interest?”

“Because when Sarah made cupcakes everyone raved about them, and I want to make them so people will rave about me too.”

“Alright, let’s see what we can do.”

             My jaw nearly dropped when I heard this!  I couldn’t believe I had heard something actually insightful from the Disney Channel!  But there it was – insight deep into the hearts and minds of many people.

            Haven’t we all been there at some time or another?  Haven’t we been around people we want to impress and so tried to do something impressive?  We want to do something to stand out, something unique, something important, something to receive praise.  I think these dynamics are most powerful when we are adolescents, but they can carry on throughout all of life.

            These things can be very subtle.  If you have a circle of friends and you’re trying to decide what you want to do, it’s nice when you have an idea and everybody jumps on it too.  It’s no fun if your thoughts are constantly ignored or shot down.

            Do you ever ask yourself why you really are doing what you do?  Are you doing it to fit it?  Are you doing it to impress someone?  Are you doing it in order to feel acceptable or worthwhile?  Why do you really want to make cupcakes?  It takes real courage to be the Disney character who answered, “So that people praise me.”

            Ten years ago I began to serve on the synod’s candidacy committee.  That’s the committee that oversees the development of pastors through the seminary process.  The candidacy committee is considered by many to be the most powerful and prestigious committee in the synod.  I remember my first several meetings sitting there at this table surrounded by some of the titans of our synod – names and legends: pastors, seminary professors, professionals leading their fields.  I was both honored to be seated at a table with these folks, but I also knew I was way out of my league.  I didn’t want to look like a fool.  I wanted to show I was indeed good enough to be there.  When we had conversations and made decisions I wanted to say things that were insightful and worthwhile and wise.  I didn’t want these highly intimidating people to look at me and think, “What’s that guy doing here?”  If I’m bluntly honest with myself, my motives for what I did were to get the praise of the others around the table.
 

            In our gospel reading Jesus taught not to do things so as to be praised by other people.  We make a mistake if we imagine the people Jesus is calling hypocrites are high flyers like presidential candidates, or even any person who makes a big deal about what they do.  Jesus was probably speaking in parables, using exaggerations, to make his point.  His point speaks to us – not as a condemnation, but as a warning.

            Why do we do what we do?  When our motives are to get acceptance and praise we are in dangerous territory.  We are taking a serious risk of getting hurt.  We are looking to other people to establish and maintain our sense of self-worth.  God tells us that our self-worth resides safely and securely in him and him alone.

            When we do something purely for the point of being constructive and helpful and up-building, then we are truly giving.  Then whether our efforts are notice or not noticed, accepted or rejected, we do not feel that we ourselves are being accepted or rejected.

            If your life is a popularity contest then you are living in a very frightening and insecure way.  You want to live as Jesus instructed.  That is to put your treasure in what God is doing.  Put your trust in the fact that God loves you and cares for you and makes you worth something.  If God honors you, you’re a fool to look anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment