Monday, February 15, 2016

February 14, 2016 1st Sunday of Lent Luke 4:1-13

Our gospel reading with Jesus being tempted by the devil in the wilderness reminds me of the silly story of the man who went to his doctor and asked him for some medication because he was feeling guilty about some of his behavior.  The doctor said, “I think you need to see a psychiatrist.  I don’t have any medicine that could change your behavior.”

“You misunderstand me doc.”  The man replied, “I don’t want to change my behavior.  I want you to give me something so I don’t feel guilty about my behavior.”

We could look at our gospel reading from the point of view of resisting temptations.  Indeed we could draw parallels between the three things the devil is tempting Jesus to do and things we are tempted to do in our own lives.  But I think we’ll find something more significant if we go another layer deeper into the text.  Let’s rename this text, “The Testing of Jesus.”

Remember that this text comes at the beginning of Jesus’ public ministry.  We’re in chapter 4 of Luke’s gospel so we’ve been through Jesus’ birth story and a bit about Jesus’ childhood.  For the most part, however, Jesus hasn’t come on the scene yet.  He hasn’t preached anything.  He hasn’t taught anything.  He doesn’t have disciples or followers.  He is baptized by John the Baptist and immediately goes into the wilderness for forty days, which gives us our forty days of Lent.  This is a time for prayer and discernment for Jesus before he begins his public ministry.  And thus the stage is set for his temptation, or testing, by the devil.

            If you’re a scientific thinker don’t get too worked up about figuring out the nuts and bolts of what really happened historically.  Luke is teaching us something in story form, and the historic plausibility of the story doesn’t impact its truth.

            It boils down to this.  Jesus is the Son of God.  How is he going to use his status as the Son of God?

             Let’s go back to another story in the Bible, the story of Adam and Eve.  You’ll remember that things start off quite well for them, but then they mess up.  They eat the forbidden fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  Twentieth Century German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer starts his book on ethics with these words, “The knowledge of good and evil seems to be the aim of all ethical reflection.  The first task of Christian ethics is to invalidate this knowledge.”  Bonhoeffer goes on to explain that if we find ourselves asking questions of what is right and what is wrong - what is good and what is evil – then we’ve already gone too far.  We’re claiming for ourselves the ability to figure out good from evil.  That is God’s to know and not us.  What Adam and Eve should have done is turned to God and known God ever more fully.  Instead, they didn’t trust God and set out away from God on their own course of self-improvement.  Similarly when we find ourselves not knowing what is right we should turn to God and know God’s nature ever more fully.  With that orientation we will do what is right.

            So, back to Jesus in the wilderness, what is his orientation going to be?  Will he as a man stay turned to God and God’s purposes, or will he be like Adam and Eve and not be content with what God has made him and set off on his own course of self-improvement?

            That is the root question underneath our gospel reading.   And it is a question we have to ask ourselves too.  Which way are our lives oriented?

            We might easily answer that our lives are turned towards God.  After all here we are in church.  We pray.  We try to do what is right.  We try to be good people.  We resist temptation, and even when we fail we are sorry about it and try not to do it again.

            But evil is not so simple.  Evil is very subtle.  Look at the temptation of the devil when he shows Jesus all the kingdoms of the world and says, “To you I will give their glory and all this authority…  If you, then, will worship me.”  As a child I imagined this worshipping would look like Jesus bowing down before the devil and literally worshipping him.  How disgusting!  But as an adult I understand this temptation differently.  The real test is which way will Jesus orient his life and ministry?  Is he going to go along with the flow of the world or is he going to orient his life exclusively the way God calls him to orient it?

            Why is your life structured the way it is?  If you own a house, why did you buy it?  If you have children, why did you have them?  Why did you buy the car that you have?  Why do you have the education that you do?  If you are retired or think and plan ahead for retirement, what is shaping that vision?

            I believe that what many people who consider themselves to be good and successful have really done is looked at what our culture says good and successful people do and they basically follow along.  It is very easy to build your life around society’s models and then tack on Christian faith almost as an accessory.

            I have an old Dodge minivan that is rolling on to the end of its life.  I was recently talking to my mechanic about it and he recommended that when the time comes I should check out the Honda Odyssey minivan.  He says they are long lasting and perform well.  So I started poking around online to learn more about Honda Odysseys.  I don’t buy new cars.  That’s mostly because I’m just plain cheap, but also because when you park in hospital parking garages as often as I do it’s only a matter of time before your vehicle bears all sorts of scrapes and dings from other people’s car doors.  I couldn’t risk something new and pristine in a parking garage. 

Well, I didn’t poke long before my jaw dropped at how much Honda Odysseys cost; even-well used ones!  But I looked some more and saw that the stripped down base models were still really well equipped and were pretty reasonably priced.  I could be comfortable with that.

But then vanity set in.  Do I really want to pull into a parking lot filled with other parents and have them see I’m driving the bottom of the line vehicle?  I mean, a minivan isn’t exactly a fashion statement.  At their best they’re still an insult to a guy’s masculinity!  The least I could do was be seen in something more than the base model.

Then I thought about it some more.  Why do I want a minivan in the first place?  Well… it’s because that’s what good parents drive, right?  I’m probably getting myself in trouble when I say this, but what you drive says a lot about you.  If I, with a wife and two kids, insisted on driving a sports car people would call me a selfish jerk.  If I drove a massive SUV that rivaled the state snow plow trucks in size people would call me a bully.  But a minivan is what good parents who have their priorities straight and care for their children drive, right?

So says society at least.  But what about God?  Have I considered the situation in light of what God is calling me to do?  Is a Honda Odyssey going to equip me to accomplish God’s purposes in this world? 

That is the question I should be asking.  When the devil tempts Jesus the real test is whether Jesus will go along with the ways of the world because that is what the world expects of people or will he turn to God over and over again?  The world says if you’re hungry and you can get food for yourself you should get it.  But God wanted Jesus to be fasting when he was in the wilderness.  The world says here are the rules we live by Jesus, bow down and follow them.  But Jesus chose to always turn to God for guidance.  The world says use your gifts to get ahead in life.  If you’re smart or sexy or talented or charismatic use those skills to go as far as you can go.  Jesus choses to use his gifts only to accomplish God’s agenda.

The world says buy the minivan because that’s what good parents drive.  Maybe that’s what I should have to accomplish God’s purposes.  Maybe not.  I’d better make the decision in light of God’s kingdom, not just do it because society tells me so.

Here at the beginning of Lent the testing of Jesus in the wilderness by the devil reminds us that this is the annual time when we look at our lives.  Where are we going?  Why are we doing what we are doing?  How do we make decisions?

Wholeness of life is only possible in God.  May God give us the courage and insight to always turn towards him.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment